February 21, 2012

Blazing Hot Amman

Ok, it's been a while since I last posted. I guess I'm just settling in a bit better and we're going by a more regular schedule.

So, what's new... Like I said, most things have been settling into a schedule and 'normal', so if you have anything you want to hear about, you're going to have to ask!

But one thing that I do remember (hard to forget sometimes) is the temperature. Middle East=blazing hot, right? Nope--it's winter. In Amman, that means cold. While snowing, even if it's not enough to stick much, counts as news, it is pretty chilly at times. Chilly enough to cancel things like school, for some, or appointments. I tend to put a brave face on it (in INDIANA this snow is mush mushgila, no problem; only a problem when it gets *this* high). It'll work on the other side when it's "vaguely warm" and I'm drooping from the heat.

Ah, one new thing is the tutoring I'm doing; I got connected with a local family with two elementary school kids, and I come over twice a week for two hours to help them with their homework. The older girl, Mirna, has a fair amount of English homework; I help her with that, reading, and studying. She's not too bad, but her reading needs a bit of work. She's also really energetic and friendly, which is great for fun but occasionally not as much for working. Zed is a bit quieter (so far) and very sweet; I help him with homework in general. All their subjects are in English, which has sociological implications if anyone wants an essay on it and I'm betting you don't.

Thursday, we head out for the Badia homestay; we'll be there through Monday and arrive back in Amman then; Tuesday is our debrief, and we'll visit Madaba (shoutout to the Moores!) and the Dead Sea. I've been warned no shaving anything within three days of enjoying the Dead Sea.

Because the Badia is generally more conservative and traditional, girls may at times have to wear hijab, and traditional dress is suggested (though not required). Consequently, we went on a big group shopping trip this afternoon to the downtown area--tons of little shops and street vendors, and very cool. The guys bought red and white keffiyehs and some bought thobes of generally simple design and color--fairly easy. We girls, on the other hand, had either the better or the worse time. We certainly had a harder time choosing our abayas--but how many girls will complain about shopping for gorgeous clothes? Headscarves, too, had some beautiful options.

As abayas go on over your normal clothes (I think), we tried them on in the store; it was pretty crowded, but nice to have girls to try things on with and our language partners to help us find decent deals. I ended up being the most indecisive or something, though; all but one other girl got theirs at the first store. I found one I absolutely loved... and it turned out to be 60 JD. Even if I'd bargained it down, too much for me, especially for something I'll be wearing for general use. I ended up at a different store, where I found a pretty one for 25 JD... and either 25 felt a bit much or I was being indecisive again, but one of our language partners found the same design for me at another store for 20 JD. After that we went for fruit cocktails (zakeeeeee) and on the way back I bought a plain back headscarf. They should show us how to wear them tomorrow.

I modeled for my host family... "It looks very nice. In the Badia, you will have many requests for marriage."

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Just wait until I figure out how to wear the headscarf that's supposed to go with it.

      Delete
  2. I actually am curious about the reason behind the kids having their homework in english.

    And whats with the no shaving? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicer schools lean towards English-only because it improves chances of university education and success in more business-type things.

    No shaving is because the Dead Sea is really, really salty. :P

    ReplyDelete