March 13, 2012

Istanbul!

So, as Egypt was getting a little hot this semester, SIT decided to switch things up and we're in Turkey right now! We've seen some fabulous architecture, from the giant--the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque--to the small--MiniaTurk, a field of miniatures of buildings around Turkey. We've talked about modernization in Turkey, learned about Turkish carpets, and watched whirling dervishes (no pics on FB, sorry; they didn't allow cameras in there). We're visiting the Asia side of Istanbul today, and the Spice Market!

Markets here are pretty awesome, especially if you're looking for scarves, jewelry, or trinkets. The quality isn't always assured, but there's plenty of places to look, tons of pretty stuff, and you can bargain for the price, too! I hope I'm a good bargainer, but I'm not so sure. I think I avoided getting scammed by a shady carpet merchant, at least. Or kidnapped. Sticking with the group next time, honest.

Update: I didn't fully stick with the group, but the one time I went off with someone it was to a bead shop and I got some awesome beads. I'm justifying the price by both currency conversion and the fact that I'll sell the finished products. (probably)

No comments:

Post a Comment